Today sees the prerelease of version 5.11.0. I wanted to take a moment to talk about some of the changes, additions, and known issues.
This is a pre-release only. It’s available on npm under the
next tag and also available on the CDN under the fully qualified version number:
//vjs.zencdn.net/5.11.0/video.js. It’ll stay in pre-release state for around a week or more to make sure that there aren’t any glaring bugs, so, please give it a shot and open issues if you find anything.
- In version 5.0, we wanted to deprecate
videojs.playersproperty in favor of of the
videojs.getPlayers()getter. However, it’s proved to be very useful and it is now being un-deprecated so it will no longer print deprecations in the console.
- If the player is created without a source set and a user hits play, video.js will now wait for the a source to be provided before starting playback. This eliminates an error that happens when we try to play an empty source.
- Our custom captions settings dialog was updated to be more accessible by using more aria attributes and better option names in drop downs.
- In video.js 5.10, to be able to better respond to the source of the video element changing directly without going through video.js, we disposed SourceHandlers on subsequent loadstarts and cleared out the current source. However, this causes an issue with videojs-contrib-dash. A contributor investigated and found out that the two PRs mentioned before cause the issue. If a video is created with an MPEG-DASH source element, we end up seeing a
loadstartevent because of the source element and then when Dash.js kicks in and starts playback using MSE, we get another
loadstartevent. Since we see the second
loadstatevent we dispose of the SourceHandler, that is, videojs-contrib-dash and Dash.js, and the video doesn’t play. A work around, while we figure out a correct solution, would be not to use source elements with DASH sources and only use the video.js API in the meantime.
- @BrandonOCasey Document audio/video track usage (view)
- @hartman Correct documentation to refer to nativeTextTracks option (view)
- @nickygerritsen Also pass tech options to canHandleSource (view)
- @misteroneill Un-deprecate the videojs.players property (view)
- @nickygerritsen Add title to all clickable components (view)
- @nickygerritsen Update Dutch language file (view)
- @hartman Add descriptions and audio button to adaptive classes (view)
- @MattiasBuelens Retain details from tech error (view)
- @nickygerritsen Fix test for tooltips in IE8 (view)
- @mboles added loadstart event to jsdoc (view)
- @hartman added default print styling (view)
- @ldayananda updated videojs to not do anything if no src is set (view)
- @nickygerritsen removed unused tracks when changing sources. Fixes ##3000 (view)
- @vit-koumar updated Flash tech to return Infinity from duration instead of -1 (view)
- @alex-phillips added ontextdata to Flash tech (view)
- @MattiasBuelens updated components to use durationchange only (view)
- @misteroneill improved Logging for IE < 11 (view)
- @vdeshpande updated control text of modal dialog (view)
- @ldayananda fixed mouse handling on menus by using mouseleave over mouseout (view)
- @mister-ben updated language to inherit correctly and respect the attribute on the player (view)
- @sashyro fixed nativeControlsForTouch option (view)
- @tbasse fixed techCall null check against tech (view)
- @rbran100 checked src and currentSrc in handleTechReady to work around mixed content issues in chrome (view)
- @OwenEdwards fixed caption settings dialog labels for accessibility (view)
- @OwenEdwards removed spurious head tags in the simple-embed example (view)
- @ntadej added a null check to errorDisplay usage (view)
- @misteroneill fixed logging issues on IE by separating fn.apply and stringify checks (view)
- @misteroneill fixed npm test from running coveralls locally (view)
- @gkatsev added es6-shim to tests. Fixes Flash duration test (view)
- @misteroneill corrects test assertions for older IEs in the log module (view)
- @gkatsev fixed setting lang by looping through loop element variable and not constant tag (view)
These are deltas between 5.11.0 and 5.10.7